Try These Two Delectable Recipes On Chocolate Cake Day
Most of us love cake and chocolate cake is no exception. Be it for a celebration or just a craving needing to be met. You can’t go wrong with a slice of chocolate cake. To celebrate this National Chocolate Cake Day, here is a brief history of how our beloved chocolate cake came to be a part of our recipe book.
The history of chocolate cake goes back to 1764, when Dr James Baker discovered how to make chocolate by grinding cocoa beans between two massive circular millstones.
In 1828, Conrad Van Houten of the Netherlands developed a mechanical extraction method for extracting the fat from cacao liquor resulting in cacao butter and the partly defatted cacao, a compacted mass of solids that could be sold as it was ‘rock cacao’ or ground into powder.
The processes transformed chocolate from an exclusive luxury to an inexpensive daily snack. Only in 1879 did Rodolphe Lindt develop the technique called conching that made chocolate silkier and smoother and easier to bake into cakes. From 1890 to 1900, chocolate was mostly used for drinks.
In the US, “chocolate decadence” cakes were popular in the 1980s; and in the 1990s, single-serving molten chocolate cakes with liquid chocolate centres and infused chocolates with exotic flavours such as tea, curry, red pepper, passion fruit, and champagne were popular.
An Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
– 2 cups white sugar
– 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup milk
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 cup boiling water
Add all ingredients to list
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease two round pans.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.)
- Then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, until smooth. Add the boiling water last stirring it in slowly. The batter will become thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Cake
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 32 minutes
Total Time 37 minutes
Calories 352 kcal
– 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend regular flour works in this recipe, if you are not GF
-1 cups organic cane sugar
– 1/2 cup cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/3 cup organic canola oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon white vinegar
– 1 cup cold water
– 3/4 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
– Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. (This step is important, especially with gluten free flour. Otherwise you’ll have lumps!)
- Add the organic canola oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together by hand, and don’t overmix. Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Pour into an 8 inch square Pyrex dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 26-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar once cool.
You can use this to make cupcakes – reduce the baking time to about 13-15 minutes. Makes about 12 cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 352Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17g26%
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Total Carbohydrates 49g16%
Dietary Fibre 5g20%