By Bernadette Longueira
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Speculaas Spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
1. Whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, spices and salt and place to one side.
2. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
3. Beat in the egg and lemon zest until well combined.
4. Add the flour mixture and beat until combines
5. Flatten dough wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour or over night to let the flavors infuse.
6. Remove dough from fridge and allow to rest outside for 10 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 168° C and place rack in middle of oven.
8. Form 1 inch balls with the dough
9. Place on lined baking tray 2 inches apart.
10. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar flatten each ball of dough to ¼ inch thick
11. Bake for about 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly browned round the edges
12. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool completely
Specula as Spice: 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground mace, 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/5 teaspoon ground white pepper (a good pinch) 1/5 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/5 teaspoon ground coriander seeds, 1/5 teaspoon ground anise seeds and 1/5 teaspoon grated nutmeg. Combine all ingredients together and store in an air tight container until needed. Demorera sugar can be sued instead of plain brown sugar.