By Bernadette Longueira
250 grams unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs at room temp
2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cup jam (raspberry, mixed fruit or Nastegal)
2/3 cups coarsely chopped peanuts (optional0)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180° c
2. Line a 2 inch square cake tin with wax paper then grease and flour it.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar about 2 minutes.
4. Now add the vanilla, egg and peanut butter.
5. Mix until well combined.
6. Sifted together flour, baking powder and salt.
7. Add flour to peanut butter mixture and mix until just combined.
8. Spread 2/3 of the dough into the prepared cake pan.
9. make sure it is spread evenly.
10. Spread the soft jam evenly over the dough.
11. Drop small teaspoons of dough evenly over the jam. (Does not have to cover)
12. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts if using.
13. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Cool and cut into squares – makes 12 squares.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is usually made with Grape Jelly.To make grape jelly – 5 cups grape juice, 2 ½ kilos fresh grapes, 125ml pectin, 7 cups sugar. Place the grapes in a pot, with 1 ½ cups water, bring to boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Strain the grape juice through a muslin cloth. Now in a clean pot, place 5 cups grape juice and the fruit pectin. Mix well together. Place back on stove and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute now add the sugar all at once, and again stirring constantly bring to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat skim off foam and pour into hot jars. Seal and store in a cool dry dark place until needed.