By Bernadette Longueira
125 grams butter or margarine
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup honey (250ml)
125 ml sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
250 ml milk
- Cream together until fluffy butter honey and sugar.
- Beat in very well 2 eggs
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Gently mix in the flour alternately with the milk until a smooth creamy batter is reached.
- Prepare either 2 x 8” layer pans or 9” square by greasing and flouring.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pans
- Preheat oven to 170° C. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Check the progress after 15 minutes you may have to turn the temperature up if the rise is very slow. Turn up by 5 degrees only.
- Test the cake by inserting a tooth pick or thin skewer in the center if it comes out clean the cake is ready to come out of the oven.
- Remove the cake from the cake tin, place on wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place on a serving dish – now take a cup of honey heat until just warm – stir in juice of ½ lemon.
- Pour gently over the cake making sure you pour evenly.
- Serve just like that or sprinkled with icing sugar and a crème freshe to help with the sweet.
- I am sure Winnie the Pooh would love to have tea at your house if you were serving this lovely cake.