1 Cup flour
½ cup chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts, or pecans, or sliced almonds)
½ cup melted butter
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 cup white sugar
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil. Stir the flour, brown sugar, walnuts and melted butter together in a bowl. Toast in the oven for about 15 minutes until the walnuts are fragrant, stirring occasionally. Place 2/3 of the walnut mixture evenly over the bottom of the 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Whip the egg whites together with the lemon juice in a large bowl until they can hold a soft peak. Gradually add white sugar while continuing to whip to firm peaks. Fold in the strawberries.
- Whip the cream in a separate bowl until stiff. Fold into the strawberry mixture. Spoon over the crust in the dish and spread evenly. Put the remaining walnut mixture on top.
- Freeze for 6 hours, or overnight.
- You can decorate your frosty strawberry squares with a strawberry on top.
- It should take you 30 minutes to prepare your frosty strawberry squares. It will take 6 hours and 30 minutes in total until they are ready.