By Bernadette Longueira
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal (mielie meal)
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric if using white mealie meal
1. Preheat oven to 400 F – 200 C (check temp – start lower and raise as needed)
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine corn meal and milk
3. Mix well together and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt pepper and turmeric
5. Mix into the cornmeal mixture the eggs and oil until smooth
6. Now add this mixture to the flour and mix gently until smooth.
7. Pour batter into prepared loaf tins
8. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until pricked and the toothpick comes out clean.