- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 250 g pouch cappuchino-flavoured icing sugar
- 500 ml cake flour (240 g)
- 15 ml golden syrup
- 200 g pouch mixed nuts, evenly finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 ºC. Lightly grease a medium-size baking tray.
- Measure off 310 ml from the packet of icing sugar, into small bowl, and set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, cream the butter and icing sugar together until fluffy.
- Sift on the flour, and blend into the creamed mixture along with the syrup, until the mixture binds together.
- Turn onto a floured worktop and using your hands, work it well, until it has the feel of soft putty. Lastly work in half of the chopped nuts.
- Press the mixture to 1 cm thickness, into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes in pre-heated oven.
- Set aside on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, while preparing the icing by mixing the pre-measured icing sugar from Step 2 with 35 ml hot water.
- Quickly and evenly, spread this icing over the warm shortbread, then immediately scatter over the remaining chopped nuts, pressing them down gently to settle them into the wet icing. Set aside for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Turn out and store in an airtight container when absolutely cool.
You will spoil the quality of the shortbread's flaky texture if you rush the process by partially melting the chilled butter to make creaming quicker.
You may like to shake the nuts in a sieve before chopping them, to shake off any excess salt.