By Bernadette Longueira
1 ½ cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter cubed and melted
1 ½ teaspoon coffee extract
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla or coffee extrac
1. Mix together, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and good pinch salt in medium bowl.
2. Mix the melted butter with the coffee extract and mix well together.
3. Stir the butter mixture into the flour until well combined and crumbly
4. Place to one side.
1. Pre-heat oven to 150° c
2. Butter a 9 inch square cake pan (23cm)
3. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and smooth.
4. Add the egg and yolk mix well incorporating everything well.
5. Stir together flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
6. Stir in half the dry ingredients with the yogurt or sour cream and coffee or vanilla extract.
7. Continue until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
8. Mix well together.
9. Pour or drop the batter into the prepared tin, spreading the batter right to the corners.
10. Sprinkle handfuls of the topping over the cake.
11. Press down gently to become one with the batter.
12. Use all the topping like this.
13. Bake the cake, middle rack for 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
14. Let cool completely
15. Cut into squares and serve with chipped cream if desired.
Cake can be kept a room temperature for 4 days in air tight container. It can also be frozen for up to two months.