By Bernadette longueira
8 beetroot heads 1. Remove the stalk and wash the beetroot well.
2 tomatoes deseeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 vegetable stock cube
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
250 grams feta cheese
2. Place the beetroot in boiling salted water.
3. Cook for 45 - 60 minutes or until the skin comes off easily.
4. Once beetroot cooked remove from water reserving 250 ml of cooking water.
5. Once beetroot cold, peel and chop
6. Place in bowl to one side.
7. Cut the tomatoes in half deseed and put to one side.
8. In a deep sauce pan add the olive oil and onions and fry for 1 ½ minuets.
9. Now stir in cumin and crushed garlic.
10. Fry or cook for 1 minutes.
11. Pour in the reserved cooking water and add stock cube
12. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally
13. Reduce heat to a simmer and check seasoning - adjust if necessary
14. Now add chopped beetroot and tomatoes to the stock with a good pinch of brown sugar
15. All to simmer for 30 – 3 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
16. Using a stick blender blend until Smooth.
17. I soup seems a bit thick add about 100ml of boiling water at a time stirring after each addition until right consistence is reach – lightly whipped cream
18. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
19. Once soup is nice and hot remove from heat and serve garnished with either crumbled feta cheese, a table spoon of crème fresh or cottage cheese and crusty bread.
8 beetroot heads
1. Remove the stalk and wash the beetroot well.