By Bernadette Longueira
- 250 grams Ricotta cheese – cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 ml balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 500 grams strawberries – 1 pun net
- 250 grams fresh basil – chopped – half for garnish.
1. In a small sauce pan heat the balsamic vinegar half the sugar and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and allow to reduce slightly – until just starting to thicken.
3. Wash and remove the green from the strawberries cut in half and place in a mixing bowl to one side.
4. Remove reduction from heat and allow to cool slightly about 2 minutes.
5. Pour over the strawberries and set ton one side.
6. In a mixing bowl add the ricotta cheese, the rest of the sugar, vanilla and finely chopped basil leaves.
7. Whisk together until sugar has melted.
8. Fold the ricotta mixture into the strawberries gently until well coated.
9. Crush amoretti biscuits or ginger biscuits and sprinkle over the top.
10. Garnish with the rest of the shredded basil and serve with a short bread biscuit on the side.
You can serve the strawberries as is with the ricotta cheese on the side, to be added along with the shredded basil to each person’s individual taste.