By Bernadette Longueira
500 grams fresh stawberries 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180° C
10 ml brown sugar
60 ml boiling water
5 ml vanilla essence
90ml soft margarine
10 ml sugar
125 ml self-raising flour
10 ml baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
60ml oat bran
1 egg white
50 ml skimmed milk
12 Cup Cakes Cases
2. Wash and quarter one of the punnets of strawberries and place them in a saucepan on low heat.
3. Add the brown sugar, water and vanilla essence and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl
6. Add the Oat bran and mix through well and evenly
7. Cream the margarine and sugar together until fluffy
8. Add the egg and egg white to the margarine mixture one by one, alternating with 1 or 2 tablespoons dry ingredients.
9. Mix well together after each addition
10. Fold the rest of the dry ingredients and the strawberry mixture and milk into the batter.
11. Spoon the mixture into the cup cakes placed in the muffin tins.
12. Make sure each case is half full.
13. Place in pre-heated oven and bake until done.
14. Approximately 35 minutes or until a skewer comes our clean
15. Remove from the oven and cool removed from the muffin pan and on a wire rack.
16. Serve dusted with icing sugar and half a fresh strawberry.
500 grams fresh stawberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180° C