Angel Cup Cakes
By Bernadette Longueira
1 cup flour
7/8 cup of sugar
12 eggs separated
1 ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar
24 cup cake cases
2 muffin tins
1 square piece of green oasis or polystyrene fairly thick
100ml apricot jam or smooth strawberry jam 50 ml water.
1. Sift the first 2 ingredients together 3 times.
2. In a large bowl place the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and vanilla
3. Beat or whisk until foamy
4. Gradually add 2 tablespoons at a time the ¾ cup of sugar.
5. Continue beating until meringue holds stiff peaks.
6. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the meringue and fold in gently just until the flour mixture disappears.
7. Pre-heat an oven to 180°C
8. Place the cup cake cases in the muffin tines.
9. Full each cup cake case ¾ full
10. Gently shake the muffin pans – then place in the oven.
11. Bake until a skewer comes out clean and they are a lovely golden brown colour.
12. Stand the skewers in the oasis pointy side up and well apart.
13. When the cakes are done, remove from oven and gently place a cup cake upside down on a skewer and allow to cool. This is to avoid the cups cakes sinking in on themselves
14. While the cup cakes are cooling heat the jam with the water to make a smooth slightly runny paste.
15. Place it into a piping bag and pip into the centre of the cup cakes when cool
16. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Hint: Reason for cooling cup cakes inverted is that they don’t sink into themselves. This is a very light cake. ½ cup of maraschino cherries drained on paper towel and chopped can be added by folding in right at the end before place the mixture in the cup cake cases.