By Bernadette Longueira
1 liter vanilla ice cream 1. Cut a 1 inch thick base from the sponge.
1 liter strawberry ripple ice cream
1 sponge cake loaf or round
1 tin peach slices trained
8 egg white room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1 good tot muskadel wine – or Apple Juice
2. Place in the center of a large piece of tin foil shinny side up
3. Take the peaches and arrange neatly over the sponge to cover it.
4. Sprinkle the peaches with the muskadel.
5. Scoop a layer of vanilla ice cream over the peaches making sure all covered.
6. On top of the vanilla scoop the strawberry ripple
7. Wrap it carefully in the foil, giving a bit of a shape.
8. Place in the deep freeze to set hard – 2 hours.
9. In a clean bowl whisk together the egg whites, and cream of tartar for 2 minutes
10. Now add the sugar in a slow steady stream until stiff, glossy peaks form.
11. Remove the cake ice cream from the freezer unwrap or open fully, but don’t remove from foil.
12. Using the foil lift it onto a baking tray.
13. Take the meringue and cover the whole thing with meringue making sure everything is well covered.
14. Preheat oven to 220° C. Place the Alaska in the Centre of the oven to bake.
15. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until the meringue starts to turn a light brown.
16. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
17. Slice pieces not to thick and enjoy.
1 liter vanilla ice cream
1. Cut a 1 inch thick base from the sponge.