Alicia Vikander Kalops (Swedish Beef Stew)
Alicia Vikander is a Swedish actress, producer and dancer. Born and raised in Gothenburg, she began acting as a child in minor stage productions at The Göteborg Opera and trained as a ballet dancer at the Royal Swedish Ballet School in Stockholm and the School of American Ballet in New York. She began her professional acting career by appearing in Swedish short films and television series, and made her feature film debut in Pure (2010), for which she won the Guldbagge Award for Best Actress. She went on to star in the Julian Assange-biopic The Fifth Estate that same year. Vikander lives in London and since 2014 has been dating actor Michael Fassbender, but she remains Nordic at heart, which is why we’re bringing you a classic Swedish winter warmer of a dish! Enjoy.
1kg Beef chuck (cut into cubes)
Two teaspoons of salt
Two tablespoons of flour
Two tablespoons of butter
Three medium yellow onions (sliced)
Half a teaspoon of allspice powder
Two bay leaves
Two cups of hot water
A handful of cherry tomatoes
1. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag, then add the beef cubes and shake until the meat is well coated.
2. In a large cooking pot, heat the butter until it just starts to brown, then add the meat and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has been browned on all sides.
3. Add the bay leaves and allspice, and add the two cups hot water.
4. Let simmer for about one and half hours until the meat is tender.
5. Add the tomatoes 10 minutes before you serve to heat them through.
6. Serve with boiled potatoes and pickled beets.