Who You Calling ‘Dummy’?

Who you calling dummy

by Vanessa Papas

When a three-year-old Bulldog started vomiting, his owner, Emily Shanahan, rushed him to her local vet. The pooch, Mortimer, had fallen ill overnight and vets weren’t sure what was wrong with him. It was only when they took x-rays they discovered the unusual cause. Mortimer had swallowed a whopping 19 dummies that were lodged in his tummy.

“Mortimer was initially diagnosed with an acid reflux-related vomiting syndrome, but despite treatment his symptoms worsened so I took him back to the vet,” explains Emily. “When they x-rayed him you could see the dummies in his stomach. I was shocked because even though I have two small children at home I’d never imagined he was eating their pacifiers.”

Advertisement

Who you calling dummy

Vets performed an endoscopy on Mortimer to remove the dummies. “It’s likely that Mortimer started nabbing these dummies several months ago, perhaps one at a time, and that started a cycle of nausea and vomiting, which are symptoms that can be caused by so many other health issues,” said Dr Doug Brum, Mortimer’s primary veterinarian. “If not for the urgency with which his family pursued veterinary care, things would have gotten much worse for him.”

Fortunately, Mortimer is fully recovered from his ordeal and is back to his normal self. “We absolutely love this dog and would do anything for him,” said Emily. “I’m relieved that this was a problem that could be solved, as opposed to a chronic illness that would cause him long-term suffering.”

It’s not the first time dogs have been known to eat weird things. Vets say they’ve seen it all, from a Great Dane who ate 43 socks to a 10 month old Golden Retriever ate a light bulb. The take-home message is that you just don’t know what your pooch is going to eat, which is why supervising them is so important.

Advertisement