As is their usual festive programme, this week saw HOT91.9FM reaching out and making many Christmas wishes come true. But if we’re honest, this one really pulled at our heartstrings, and showed how South Africans can truly come together when they need to.
David Smith wrote into Christmas Wish about an exceptional young woman, Unathi Tong. Unathi is the daughter of Freda who worked for David for many years before he and his family emigrated, and since he left she has been looking for employment. Freda worked for them for over 12 years and was always on time, did a great job, and David did what he could to help where he could.
Freda is struggling to pay for the educational and living costs for herself and Unathi who has just finished Grade 9. They currently live in an informal settlement behind Princess Crossing Shopping Centre. Unathi is a top student at Princess High School (verified by Hot Cares) and in Mr Smith’s words “continues to shoot the lights out” as well as taking time to help other students.
On a recent business trip back to South Africa, Mr Smith reached out to Freda to see if she could assist him for a day or two’s temp work. When she came around, she had a letter for me from Unathi – asking him to please assist her in buying a blazer which they couldn’t afford and she really wanted to be able to wear it with her scrolls and be proud of her excellent achievements. Mr Smith bought the blazer and started a fundraising initiative for her education and part of this was sending in the attached Christmas Wish for Unathi.
Roadtrip brought Unathi and Freda Tong to the station and Shanda Paine from Silverstar Casino was in studio. The Silverstar team have committed to sponsor Unathi’s education for three years (Grade 10, 11 and 12) and to make sure that she is able to reach her academic potential and so much more. So, we will be contributing to 3 years of : School fees, School uniforms, Textbooks, Stationery, School outings, as well as R750 in groceries for the next 6 months for her and her mom.
In addition, they work with young learners in high school on their career development and would like to also offer this to Unathi. It is programme that includes doing online assessments (aptitudes) to determine and guide career choices, what subjects are needed, where to study, participation in online tertiary application workshops and bursary applications.
Talk about an amazing wish being granted!
Other wishes that the HOT91.9FM team worked on this week can be found below:
- A Mother whose husband was murdered, who invested funds from life cover with company who made off with her investment got her daughter’s education covered for a year: https://www.hot919.co.za/tammys-christmas-wish/
- Quadraplegic who was in desperate need of a new wheelchair after his wheelchair that he made out of two broken ones broke itself, got a fully customised wheelchair: https://www.hot919.co.za/lehlogononolo-customised-wheelchair/
- A woman gets critical back surgery: https://www.hot919.co.za/diane-gets-critical-back-surgery/
- A woman who was hit by someone who had skipped a stop street when she was 18, who has a big heart and is fostering children at her own expense but needs a financial helping hand, and the Christmas Wish team helps her out: https://www.hot919.co.za/stacey-gets-a-helping-hand/
- Jennifer gets double eye surgery so that she doesn’t have to lose her job, and Hot Cares together with sponsors clears family debt to help the whole family: https://www.hot919.co.za/jennifer-gets-double-eye-surgery/
- Cliffy the hospital cleaner who brightens everyone elses lives, gets something back from Hot Cares: https://www.hot919.co.za/cliffy-the-hospital-cleaner/
- Divorced couple who work well together – ex wife nominates ex husband to receive a wish, to fix his car because he still supports and helps his daughter out and sets an amazing example: https://www.hot919.co.za/father-of-the-year-gets-his-car-repaired/
- Security guard from Roodepoort who aspires to be a graphic designer gets a new laptop with the software he needs to do the job, he has shown real talent and skill, and just needs the tools to do what he can to get there: https://www.hot919.co.za/security-guard-gets-laptop/
- A daughter writes in to ask to help her mother with a set of new teeth. Her mother was a nurse for 45 years, saved lives, took care of people, and still does her best to take care of others now. Not just that, she was widowed and had to work two jobs to continue to provide for her daughter, but did it selflessly. Her daughter, a mother of two can’t step in, because she too, is now widowed, and Hot 91.9 was so touched by their story that we had to step in: https://www.hot919.co.za/veteran-nurse-gets-a-new-set-of-teeth/