Special Olympics Chair Dr Mathews Phosa, CEO Ancilla Smith and president and managing director, Africa region, Charles Nyambe, launched the road to the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games on January 23.
Also present were a group of the athletes, as well as ambassadors and supporters, former Bafana Bafana player Mark Fish, Springbok rugby player, Courtnall Skosan, Kilimanjaro conquerors and motivational speaker Lynn Forbes and fitness guru Letshego Zulu, presenter Kim Jayde, recording artist Gigi LeMayne, recording artist LeAnne Dlamini, actress and presenter Bontle Modiselle and recording artist Priddy Ugly.
In April 2018, no less than 70 athletes were chosen to represent South Africa at the Summer Games in Abu Dhabi. The games will take place from March 14 to 21 and 7 000 athletes from around the world will gather to take part in over 16 Olympic sporting codes.
Special Olympics needs the public’s help by supporting their ‘Adopt An Athlete’ programme to help the athletes get to Abu Dhabi. It is going to cost R35 000 per athlete, in order for all their costs to be covered.
In 2017, the Special Olympics SA sent 24 athletes, who returned with 26 medals, 15 of which were gold. Help these differently abled athletes make our country proud once again by going to Special Olympics SA Donate or Special Olympics SA Volunteer
About Special Olympics
Special Olympics is a global inclusion movement using sport, health, education and leadership programmess every day around the world to end discrimination against and empower people with intellectual disabilities.
Founded in 1968, and celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, the Special Olympics movement has grown to more than 5 million athletes and Unified partners in more than 170 countries. With the support of more than 1 million coaches and volunteers, Special Olympics delivers 32 Olympictype sports and over 108,000 games and competitions
Full list of ambassadors and supporters:
- Melanie ‘HYPRESS’ Ramjee; Publicist and media personality
- YFM DJ; DJ Sabby
- Simphiwe Dludlu; Bantwana Bantwana Coach
- Mark Fish; former Bafana Bafana soccer player
- Coutnall Skosan; South African rugby player
- Lerato Phago Sports presenter
- Tamara Dey; musical artist
- David Rees 7de Laan actor
- Paul Kamanga Walter weight boxer
- Mark Mac – Lifestyle Brand Specialist and Sneaker Collector
- Kim Jayde MTV base presenter and Model
- Lynn Forbes Lifestyle Coach and Motivation Speaker
- Letshego Zulu; Fitness guru
- Gigi Lamayne recording artist
- Liz Khan SAFM Radio presenter
- Kay Sibiya actor
- Jerome Slim Du Plooy; presenter and motivational speaker
- Lionel Mapoe; South African rugby player
- Liz Khan SAFM presenter
Watch MTV base presenter and Model Kim Jayde at the event: