Today marks World Oceans Day. Every year the world uses this day to raise awareness of positive environmental action around our seas. It’s vital that we all protect our planet.
Over the years media and celebrities alike have encouraged celebrations for this day by endorsing and participating in it.
7 Ways To Look After Your Environment
We share some simple ways you can help keep your environment in good condition.
- Use less water – you can do this by taking showers instead of running baths, switching off the water while brushing your teeth, or while putting shampoo in your hair, and use a watering can to water plants instead of a hose.
- Use less electricity – switch off plugs you are not using, don’t switch on lights during the day, switch lights off when you leave a room and in winter keep curtains open to allow sun in instead of running the heater.
- Make less rubbish – sort out your garbage and recycle, and save computer paper by printing on both sides. You can also recycle toys, clothes and games.
- Drive less if possible – and when driving s]drive smart by accelerating gradually, limit the amount of time your car engine is idling.
- Shop wisely – re-use your plastic bags when shopping.
- Avoid putting oil, paint, varnish or solvent down the drain.
- Avoid putting sanitary products, nappies and cigarettes down the toilet.