No you’re not being selfish — in fact you’re actually putting others first by putting yourself first. Sounds strange, but it’s so true — by looking after yourself, you will be able to give the best of YOU to the rest of the family. So use this time wisely. Here’s how:
- Take time out for yourself: We know that sounds unheard of, but you need it. Heck, you deserve it. It’s been a long year, and now it’s time to relax and do something you love — be it a spa day with the girls or just a little bit of shopping on your own, do it.
- Make life easier for yourself: If shopping online for your last-minute gifts is easier, go ahead. If buying ready-made food for this year’s Christmas lunch will help you out, do it. This is your time to chill so don’t make it a busier and more stressful time — that’s the last thing you need.
- Put stress aside: Whether the stress is from cooking up a storm for the family, or fitting into that little bikini for your vacation, find a way to ignore, and forget — meditate, join a yoga class, or just go ahead and book that Christmas lunch at your favourite restaurant already. Yes, it’s okay!
- Get pampered: Let someone else do the beauty work during your break — get your hair and nails done, have a facial, whatever you would usually do at home (to save money and time).
- Detox: Your mind needs a little spring clean, so start de-cluttering and start smiling. We have some great detox tips below.
10 Ways To Detox The Mind
We know you’re planning on detoxing the body after the holidays, but why don’t you start with theming now — and hey, you might not even need that much of a body detox if you do things right.
- Travel: If you can, book a vacay. Use this time to put your feet up, and stay away from the digital world as much as possible.
- Identify your tethers — experts say ‘the problems that are in front of you are actually behind you, they are cracks in your foundation that are holding you back’. Advise is, stop trying to dismantle symptoms, go back and identify the causes.
- Go for a long drive — let your mind wander a little. But please, don’t wander off enough to cause an accident.
- Rearrange your furniture — experts suggest this as a good way to free the mind a little. Changing things around a bit, say experts, will change how you think and how you feel.
- Do a mental purge — jot down your feeling, talk to those closest to you. It’s time to stop clogging the head!
- Write down what you hate about other people — this could help you deal with many issues, which could be coming from past experiences, or personal matters.
- Restructure your digital life — start following positive groups, delete negative people and spend only the time needed online.
- Emotionally cleanse your space — go through your cupboards and your home and throw away items which have strong emotional connections. Start letting go of the past and focus on the present and the future.
- Exercise your brain — do puzzles, learn a new language, get your brain working and focusing.
- Identify what your addictions are keeping you distracted from — according to experts, ‘addiction is a disconnection from yourself, and a disconnection from yourself is born of something present that you (think) you can’t face’.