By Angela Bekiaris
We all get a craving for fast food every now and again – unless you’re super motivated, which is great so kudos to you. But next time you find yourself outside a fast food joint, use the following tips to keep the meal slightly healthier than usual.
1. Stick to a single hamburger patty.
2. Hold or go light on the mayonnaise.
3. Go easy on special sauces, which add a lot of calories.
4. Say no to bacon, cheese, onion rings, and other calorie-laden burger toppings.
5. Ask about no-meat burgers or sandwich options.
6. Skip the fries – and the shake.
7. Control your portion size.
8. Try to fill up with a side salad.
9. Choose lighter cheese options on pizza – or even a healthier base.
10. Aim to keep the entire meal 500 calories or less.
11. Opt for foods that are lower in fat and higher in protein and fibre.
Make Meal Times About More Than Just Food
1. Sit Together As A Family: Let this be the time you catch up as a family. Chat about their day, school, friends, and what’s going on in their lives.
2. Make The Dishes Fun And Delicious: Veggies don’t have to be thrown on a plate and be tasteless. There are so many creative recipes out there.
3. Mealtimes Enable You To ‘Teach By Example’: Eating together lets your kids see you eating healthy food while keeping your portions in check and limiting junk food.
4. Mealtimes Let You Monitor Your Kids’ Eating Habits: This can be important for older kids and teens who spend a lot of time eating at school or friends’ houses.
Why therapy can help you
We all go through tough times – good days, bad days and sometimes even horrific days. But with a good support system, and at times, some professional help, we can get past it and learn to cope with the issues at hand. We share eight benefits of counselling and talk therapy.
1. Therapy can help you handle emotions from problems or stressors, even if they aren’t dramatically life-altering or traumatic.
2. Talking with someone can help you find purpose.
3. A professional can help you dissect a problem, and then find ways to help you solve it.
4. A professional can help you see your thoughts from a different perspective.
5. It can help couples benefit from a neutral party.
6. You will feel less alone with your problems.
7. You can share the burden of your emotions.
8. It will improve your physical wellbeing.
Make Fast Food Healthier
By Angela Bekiaris