Yes you deserve a vacation, but you also deserve to still look (and feel) fabulous at the end of it. So because you’ll be indulging a little more than usual, and probably sitting more than usual, too, make some time for exercise — even if it’s just 15 minutes a day. We share some ways stay in shape while on vacay:
- Stay on track: There’s no reason to lose focus of your goals just because you’re taking some time out. If you’re usually active, stay active — if it means walking on the beach every morning or hitting the hotel gym for 15 minutes before dinner, do so.
- Don’t give in to in binges: Yes those cocktails look delicious — and they are, but enjoy them in moderation. A burger on the beach followed by 10 cocktails that evening will leave your pants very tight and your mood extremely dull.
- Don’t make excuses: We’re not saying spend your whole holiday working out, but all you really need is time and motivation. Time you have, and while motivation can be hard to find, it will be worth it when you’re feeling confident in that sexy bikini.
- Start your day fit: Start your day with some jumping jacks, lunges, squats or planks — hey, if you can do them all, go ahead. This way, it’s over and done with, and you won’t feel as guilty to indulge a little with your pals.
- Explore: If you’re the adventurous type, use this time to explore a little. What better way to sight-see than by doing it on a hike, or pedaling away on a boat. It’s fun, it’s different and it’s going to get you burning calories, we promise!
- Break a sweat: if you really want to break a sweat during your vacay, spring up and down the stairs or jog on the beach every morning. And if the hotel has a gym, go ahead and get that cardio workout out of the way — you know you want to.
10 Fab Vacation Workouts
There is always something you can do to stay active — no matter where you are. Here are some fabulous exercises to do on holiday, whether you’re just spending some time at home, or hitting the beach for the festive season.
- Chair dips
- Kettlebell workouts
Research has shown that going a week or two without exercise won’t be detrimental on your health. However, because we tend to indulge more on vacation, it’s always good to stay a little active while having fun.
Exercise Sun Safety
Chances are most of you are headed to the coast for the Christmas break. So remember to stay sun safe — while training or not. So make sure to wear sunscreen and wear a hat — and don’t stay in the sun for too long. Having a tan is great, but the dangers associated with it are not. So whether you’re spending time on a the beach, or just going for a 10-minute jog, make sure to cover up and protect your skin. Tans and burns are signs of damage, and each time we burn we greatly increase our risk for skin cancer. Did you know that one blistering sunburn doubles your risk for malignant melanoma, the most dangerous and ever-increasing form of skin cancer? Sun poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, fever and fatigue.