Exercising Safely During Pregnancy
By Angela Bekiaris: Pregnancy puts extra strain on the joints and muscles in the lower back and the pelvis and increasing the chance of losing balance. We’ve told you how important exercise is during pregnancy, but being safe while training is your main priority. Here are some safety tips for those 40 weeks ladies.
- Begin by warming up for five minutes and stretching for five minutes.
- Finish with five to 10 minutes of gradually slower exercise that ends with gentle stretching.
- Always wear loose-fitting clothes and a good support bra.
- Exercise on a flat surface.
- Wear supportive shoes.
- Stay hydrated before, during and after your workout.
- Get up slowly and gradually to avoid dizziness.
- Avoid overheating and exercising in high humidity.
- Avoid heavy weightlifting and activities that require straining.
- Avoid activities that increase the risk of abdominal trauma.
- Never exercise to the point of exhaustion.
Did You Know?
During pregnancy your body needs more oxygen and energy.