Eating the correct foods pre-workout is vital. So if you’ve started this year off with a new training programme, make sure you’ve stocked up on the right snacks, too. We share some great ones to add to your grocery list, courtesy of myprotein.com:
- Bananas: Not only are the full of potassium, but they’re a great source of natural sugars and are the perfect snack 30 minutes before you start exercising. Experts say eating a banana pre-workout is the perfect way to boost your glycogen stores and increase blood sugar levels.
- Yoghurt and dried fruit: It’s delicious and nutritious. While dried fruit is high in sugar and calories, it’s a great snack, say experts, to be eaten pre workout.
- Porridge and oatmeal: A perfect breakfast before your morning workout, contain complex carbohydrates and soluble fibre. But make sure to eat it about two hours before you start training.
- Fruit smoothies: These are just great for breakfast — especially in summer. They taste fabulous and contain the series of micronutrients beneficial for your health and wellbeing.
- Apple wedges with peanut butter: Slices of apple with a small spread of peanut butter is a great pre-workout snack and can be consumed 30 minutes before you start exercising.
- Omelettes: They’re a great source of muscle building protein and amino acids, but should be eaten about two to three hours before you hit the gym.
3 Reasons To Eat Pre-Workout
- For more energy
- To prevent muscle catabolism
- To increase muscle anabolism