Causes of Insomnia
By Angela Bekiaris: Insomnia is the inability to sleep. It is caused by psychiatric and medical conditions, unhealthy sleep habits, specific substances, and/or certain biological factors. Sleepfoundation.org tells us what could be causing your sleep difficulties. And while some medical conditions are minor and others serious, these examples could be your problem.
* Nasal/sinus allergies
* Endocrine problems
* Gastrointestinal problems such as reflux
* Neurological conditions like Parkinson’s disease
* Chronic pain
* Lower back pain
Insomnia And Anxiety
Just like insomnia and depression can be connected, experts explain that insomnia can also be brought on by anxiety symptoms such as tension, excessive worrying, overwhelming feelings and more. The anxiety could be the reason you’re struggle to fall asleep at night – onset insomnia – or the reason you keep waking up, known as maintenance insomnia.
Eating Your Way To A Good Night’s Sleep
Certain foods and rinks should be avoided if you’re suffering from insomnia — or even if you’re just having one or two bad nights. So, if you can’t sleep, avoid:
* Heavy meals
Nine Insomnia Symptoms sleepfoundation.org tells us what to look out for:
* Difficulty falling asleep at night
* Waking up during the night
* Waking up too early
* Not feeling well-rested after a night’s sleep
* Daytime tiredness or sleepiness
* Irritability, depression or anxiety
* Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering
* Increased errors or accidents
* Ongoing worries about sleep
Eight Tips For Insomniacs
There are some ways to try to avoid insomnia. Here are eight:
1. Try your best to go to keep at the same time every night.
2. Keep your bedroom for sleeping only — not place to watch TV, catch up on work or play with the children.
3. Eliminate all alcohol or caffeine as mentioned above — especially later in the day.
4. Limit day-time naps — even short power naps.
5. Exercise regularly — this will not only improve your sleep but the duration, too.
6. Do not eat or drink right before going to bed.
7. Make your sleeping environment extremely comfortable.
8. Try to put worries and stress behind you — nothing will change overnight.