Get Chrissy Teigen’s Golden Glow
WE have all seen self-tan fails. Don’t become a statistic. Mylene Wait , CEO of Vita Liberata South Africa, has put together some at home self-tanning tips. These tips will help you in achieving the best possible tan, so you can get your glow on at the beach or by the pool.
- Prep the skin by eating lots of fruit and vegetables. Drink lots of water, exfoliate with a Vita Liberata Mitt (R150) and moisturize the skin.
2. Circular motions are usually best when applying a self-tanner. You don’t need to rub it in. You aren’t a piece of furniture! The actives will naturally absorb in contact.
3. For creases in areas such as the elbows and knees, if these areas are very dry apply moisturizer and allow to absorb for at least an hour before tanning. And of course always wipe knuckles, knees and the back of the hands lightly with a damp wash cloth or wet wipe after applying the tan to ensure the most natural looking tan. The skin on these areas is drier and can result in a darker fade if you don’t dab them after.
4. If you don’t have a tanning mitt on hand, you can use a large makeup brush (foundation brushes, kabuki brushes) to apply. Alternatively a soft sponge.
5. Apply evenly. Use a tanning mitt and always start on the face first taking the product down and then blending the body tan with it. Arms, chest and legs follow, but save the feet and hands for last. You want as little product on the mitt as possible for the most realistic results.
What do most people do wrong with self-tanners?
Always exfoliate and, if you need to, shave and do so at least four hours prior to applying self-tanning products to create a beautiful smooth skin canvas.
Additionally, many women apply self-tanner with their hands, but the palms of the hands are never an area that receives a natural tan. Always use a mitt to avoid having product developing in this area.
How to preserve your self-tan?
Maintain your tan by moisturizing twice daily and avoid shaving and waxing. Don’t use shower gels or moisturizers that contain essential oils as these oils can strip the tan, reducing the length of time you get out of it. For an extra tan boost, a lotion with a gradual build tan effect is a great option to top up your colour after a few days.
About Vita Liberata:
Vita Liberata, it is the worlds’ number one organic and non-toxic, luxury sunless tanning range, and is the first of its kind to be available in South Africa. It has a celebrity following the world over that includes Rita Ora, Kirsten Dunst, Sofia Vergara, Kelly Brook AND Kim Kardashian to name a few. Vita Liberata products are sold in more than 22 countries worldwide. They are recognised as the world’s leading non-toxic, organic tanning company. The Vita Liberata ingredients are the purest in the tanning world. They use natural, certified organic and Ecocert ingredients, and are able to create a tanning experience that conditions and nourishes the skin, with Moisture LockTM to hydrate skin for 72 hours, ensuring a tan fades perfectly. Just like a natural suntan.