IN the world of beauty, there are endless tips and rules to keep you looking fabulous. But a new look doesn’t always have to mean making a drastic change, spending the day in a colourist’s chair or forking out plenty of dough. These easy little tweaks will help you brighten and renew your look to get that ‘whose-that-girl?’ reaction from everyone. Here’s our 29 top beauty quick fixes and simple tips to celebrate people’s 29th birthday.
1. Give your skin a dewy glow. Apply foundation to skin with hands, like a moisturiser – this allows you to press it into the skin without it looking streaky.
2. Slick on some hot pink lipstick for an instant wake-up.
3. The perfect complement to dramatic red lips: glistening gold eyes. For more make-up tips, check out our top 10 tips to gorgeous make-up.
4. Trade neutral eye shadow for a pale shimmering shadow. Soft light colours are easy to pull off, but add subtle colour to the face.
5. Give your eyes a lift by applying concealer that is a shade lighter than your own skin tone to the outer corners.
6. Add subtle sparkle by dabbing a brush dipped in glitter shadow on the tips of lashes while they’re still wet with mascara.
7. Pin your hair into a faux bob to test out a short cut. This is a great way to fake a makeover.
8. Nina Dobrev has a one minute fix for clearer skin: “On Vampire Diaries, they give us these hot towels, so once you’ve taken off your make-up, they open up the skin and let it breathe. Heat to open up the pores is really good, and applying moisturiser right afterwards really revives and hydrates your skin,” she explains.
9. Add a couple of individual false lashes at the corners of your eyes. It won’t look like you have any make-up on, but it makes eyes look wider.
10. Highlight your brow bone to lift the entire eye area, but don’t use white frosty eye shadow – the effect will look too retro.
11. French braid your bangs along your hairline to take a break from your fringe for a day. Or try Kelly Clarkson’s cute side braid.
12. The most flattering way to wear coloured eye make-up: Apply black liquid liner along the upper lash line, then add a stroke of brightly coloured liner just above it.
13. To prevent shiny skin, apply powder with a sponge or puff, instead of a brush. That way you are putting on powder and absorbing any excess oil, versus a powder brush which will just dust on powder.
14. Lining the inner rim of the eye is a great way to add instant fierceness! Just make sure to use an eye liner that is waterproof.
15. Didn’t get enough sleep? If you have a deeper skin tone, neutralise purplish under eye circles with orange concealer. When topped with concealer in the same shade as the skin tone, the area will look bright and flawless. Fairer complexions should opt for a peach-toned concealer.
16. Mix two blush shades instead of just one. Layer two blush colours – a natural blush and a bright blush – this helps blush last longer, because it fades throughout the day.
17. Brown eyes can wear any hue, so go bold with a bright teal or jungle green.
18. Soften a stiff up do by roughing up the surface with a clean kabuki brush. A softer texture is more modern and youthful.
19. To revive your foundation after a long day, press a make-up sponge over your face, blending any areas that look caked.
20. One-minute hairstyle idea: Make a deep side part in wet hair, then twist into a bun and smooth with a frizz hair treatment before pinning a flower behind your ear. The side part and flower makes for a glamorous look.
21. When penciling in your brows, extend the tail end so it’s higher or at the same level to where the brow begins (never lower, which brings down your features). This gives you an instant facelift.
22. Upgrade your ponytail: Tease your hair at the crown before pulling it up.
23. For a bold night time look, use a brow powder that’s a shade darker than you typically wear. Strong brows are in!
24. Lighten up: Pair inky liner along your top lash line with a pale, metallic rose gold or champagne line along your lower lashes.
25. To tame fly-aways, mist a clean mascara wand or brush with hairspray and brush over unruly pieces.