101 Beauty Quick Fixes Part 1
In the world of beauty, there are endless tips and rules to keep you looking fabulous. But a new look doesn’t always have to mean making a drastic change, spending the day in a colorist’s chair or forking out plenty of dough. These easy quick little tweaks will help you brighten and renew your look to get that “whose-that-girl” reaction from everyone. Here’s part one of our list.
- Give your skin a dewy glow. Apply foundation to skin with hands, like a moisturizer — this allows you to press it into the skin without it looking streaky.
- Slick on some hot pink lipstick for an instant wake-up. The Longwear Lipstick (R169) by 3INA is our favorite bright.
- Pink too Legally Blonde? A rich red has the same effect. Try Colour Boost Vinylicious Liquid Lipstick (R59.95) from Essence.
- The perfect complement to dramatic red lips: glistening gold eyes.
- Trade neutral eye shadow for a pale shimmering shadow. Soft light colours are easy to pull off, but add subtle colour to the face.
- Give your eyes a lift by applying concealer that is a shade lighter than your own skin tone to the outer corners.
- Add subtle sparkle by dabbing a brush dipped in glitter shadow on the tips of lashes while they’re still wet with mascara
- Pin your hair into a faux bob to test out a short cut. This is a great way to fake a makeover.
- Nina Dobrev has a 1-minute fix for clearer skin: “On Vampire Diaries right now, they give us these hot towels, so once you’ve taken off your makeup, they open up the skin and let it breathe. Heat to open up the pores is really good, and applying moisturizer right afterwards really revives and hydrates your skin,” she explains.
- Add a couple individual false lashes at the corners of your eyes. It won’t look like you have any makeup on, but it make eyes look wider.
- Highlight your brow bone to lift the entire eye area, but don’t use white frosty eye shadow — the effect will look too retro.
Born To Glow Highlighting Palette: R345.95, NYX Professional Makeup
- The most flattering way to wear colored eye makeup: Apply black liquid liner along the upper lash line, then add a stroke of brightly colored liner just above it.
- French braid your bangs along your hairline to take a break from fringe for a day.
- Or test drive a new look with clip-in bangs, which can look surprisingly natural.
- To prevent shiny skin, apply powder with a sponge or puff instead of a brush. That way you are putting on powder and absorbing any excess oil, versus a powder brush which will just dust on powder.
- Switch out your black mascara for a purple or blue shade on your lower lashes for a subtle color pop.
- Apply your eye shadow with a wet brush to intensify its shade.
- Or prep lids with an eye primer to make powder shadow more vibrant and longer-lasting.
- Or skip shadow altogether and dab a small amount of Vaseline or clear gloss on lids for a seductive sheen.
Blueseal Pure Petroleum Jelly Original (50ml): R10.95,Vaseline
- Vaseline works well as a cheekbone highlighter, too — especially with a radiant glowing look.