American superstar tennis player Venus Williams is turning 39 today! Let’s take a look at some fun facts about her.
- Venus’s full name is Venus Ebony Starr Williams.
- Venus is the older sister of Serena Williams. Venus has played against Serena in 30 professional matches since 1998. Overall, Venus has won 12 of those matches and Serena has won 18 of them. They have met in 15 Grand Slam tournaments with Venus winning five matches against Serena’s ten. The sisters have met in 9 Grand Slam finals with Venus winning twice.
- At the age of 9, Venus Williams had the chance to hit the ball with John McEnroe. As she left the court, she said to her dad, “I can beat that guy.”
- In 1998 in a match against Mary Pierce, Williams hit a serve that registered at 127 mph on the radar gun. At the time it was the fastest serve in WTA history. She bettered that record in 2007 when she served at a 128 mph at the French Open.
- In 2002, Venus Williams became the first African-American woman to be ranked at No. 1 since the women’s tour started its official listings in 1975.
- Venus Williams has won 7 Grand Slam titles throughout her career. She won Wimbledon in 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and in 2008. She won the US Open in 2000 and 2001.
- Williams is the 3rd women’s tennis player to win both the Wimbledon and the U.S. Open title in 2 consecutive years. The 1st 2 women’s tennis players to do so were Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf.
- Venus Williams has a degree in fashion from the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. She received this in 2007. She has her own clothing line called EleVen.