Rugby hero Tendai Mtawarira is celebrating his 35th birthday today! To celebrate the day of the Springbok Loosehead Prop’s birth we are sharing some fun facts with you.
- With 107 caps, Tendai Mtawarira is the most capped prop in South African history.
- Mtawarira is a loyal Sharks player. The Sharks are the only South African Super Rugby team Mtawarira has played for. He has played for The Sharks 159 times.
- Mtawarira got his nickname ‘Beast’ when he was nine years old. His best mate gave him the name. He was bigger than most of the boys of his age and he was a bit of a bully and a naughty child. His friend just called me ‘Beast’ one day and it just stuck. Now every time he gets the ball on the field or makes a tackle a huge groan of ‘beast’ from the crowd fills the stadium.
- Tendai Mtawarira’s philosophy in life is “You have to fight for what you want; you have to be prepared to die for what you believe in.”
- Tendai Mtawarira was born in Harare, Zimbabwe. Even though he grew up in Zimbabwe he loves South Africa. He says “I am a South African at heart. I love this country. It has become my home. It is everything to me. Wearing the green and gold of the Springboks is a huge honour for me. That jersey is part of me. The green and gold flows in my blood. I feel just as much pride as any other guy in the team.”
Get behind the “beast” and the Springboks as they prepare for the 2019 Rugby World Cup. Wear your green and gold tomorrow for #BokFriday.