Springbok Captain Siya Kolisi is celebrating his 28th birthday today, on Youth Day & Father’s Day. Lucky him, he gets double spoils today for his birthday and for Father’s Day! To celebrate the day of his birth we are sharing some fun facts with you.
- Siya Kolisi made history on the 28th May 2018 as he became the first black man in South African rugby history to captain the Springboks in an international rugby match.
- Siya Kolisi is a tough-as-nails, 1.87m tall, 106kg loose forward who is comfortable on both sides of the scrum.
- Siya Kolisi grew up in the impoverished Zwide township just outside Port Elizabeth. Growing up in the township a plate of food was a rare sight. Often he lived on an empty stomach, barely getting by on the small jam sandwiches he was giving during break times at the local primary school.
- At the age of 12, Kolisi impressed scouts at a youth rugby tournament in Mossel Bay and was offered a scholarship at Grey Junior in Port Elizabeth. He then went to Grey High School where he was a member of the school’s first XV rugby team.
- When Siya Kolisi’s mother passed away, his much younger siblings (a brother and a sister) were taken in by social services. They disappeared into the system. Siya searched for them for years until one day when he was in PE with his rugby team he drove around Zwide township and came across a distant cousin on the roadside who led him to their new home. He knew right then they were coming home with him no matter what it took. They were going to get the life they deserved. In 2014 Siya & his wife Rachel adopted his younger brother and sister as their own. Siya and his wife also have 2 biological children, a son and a daughter.
- Siya Kolisi was selected as the new Stormers captain 20 February 2017.
- Kolisi made his insternational Springbok debut on 15 June 2013 against Scotland in Nelspruit. He replaced the injured Arno Botha during the 5th minute of the game. He was named as Man of the Match as the Springboks defeated Scotland 30–17.
- Siya Kolisi has scored 5 tries in 41 appearances for the Springboks.
Happy Birthday & Happy Father’s day, Siya!