Former Springbok captain and current Supersport presenter, Jean de Villiers, is celebrating his 38th birthday today. To celebrating the day of his birth we take a look at some fun facts about the man.
- Jean de Villiers went to school at Paarl Gimnasium, the very same school that past Springbok teammates Marius Joubert and Schalk Burger attended.
- Jean De Villiers made his first appearance at international level in the Blitzbokke (South African Sevens team), playing in ten of the eleven legs of the 2001-02 World Sevens Series. The Blitzbokke finished in second spot in the series. De Villiers was also a member of the squad that finished third at the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
- Jean de Villiers was an important player in the Springboks’ 2004 Tri Nations winning squad. Both he and his former Paarl teammate Joubert scored three tries each.
- De Villiers made his debut for the Springboks in November 2002 against France. Unfortunately he suffered a major knee injury five minutes into the game.
- Jean De Villers was a member of the 2007 World Cup winning Springbok squad, although unfortunately for him he tore his biceps during the opening game of the tournament and took no further part in the tournament.
- Jean De Villiers was selected as the captain of the Springboks when England toured South Africa in 2012. He captained the Springboks 37 times.
- Jean de Villiers made 109 test match appearances for the Springboks scoring 27 tries totalling 135 points.
- In total Jean de Villiers has scored 94 career tries.
- Jean de Villiers represented the Stormers in Super Rugby 105 times scoring 104 points.
- Jean De Villers captained South Africa during the 2015 Rugby World Cup. He fractured his jaw during the second match and was unable to play for the rest of the tournament. After. He was forced to announce his retirement from test rugby in September 2015 after this injury. On retiring he said that “Injuries are part of rugby and I’ve had my fair share, so by now I know how to cope with them. It’s very sad, but life goes on – I need to take it all in and move forward”
Happy Birthday, Jean! We hope you have a fantastic year ahead!