South African cyclist Daryl Impey is celebrating his 34th birthday today! Let’s have a look at some fun facts about the man.
- In 1997, Daryl’s father asked him to join him and his brother on a mountain bike ride. Daryl was busy playing soccer at the time but decided to try out mountain biking. He found negotiating the tricky descents, single track riding and the sudden pain in his legs quite appealing. That was when he decided to prove to his dad that this is what he wanted to continue doing.
- Daryl represented South Africa at the Junior World Champs in 2002.
- Impey’s biggest win to date came this year when he won the overall title in the 2018 Santos Tour Down, a World Tour race.
- Daryl turned pro when he signed his first contract in 2003 for the South African-based Microsoft Cycling Team.
- Impey won the 2014 Tour of Alberta by a second thanks to his victory in the last stage of the race which gave him enough bonus seconds to overtake Tom Dumoulin. Just a few days later, Daryl took 4th place at the Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec.
Happy Birthday, Daryl! We hope you have a great year ahead!