Proteas’ all-rounder Chris Morris is celebrating his 32nd birthday today! To celebrate the day of his birth we are sharing some fun facts with you about the cricketer.
- Chris Morris’ father, Willie Francis Morris, was also a cricketer. He played for Northern Transvaal. He played 74 first-class matches. Willie Morris was also an all-rounder.
- Chris Morris was one of the top buys of the 2013 IPL auctions. He was bought by the Chennai Super Kings for US$625,000 – more than 31 times his base price of US$20,000. He was later signed up by the Rajasthan Royals in the next auctions. In the 2016 IPL auctions, Chris Morris was bought by the Delhi Daredevils for US$1,000,000 on par with Yuvraj Singh as the second most expensive amongst the overseas players at the IPL.
- Morris used the money he earned playing in the IPL to pay off his parents’ mortgage. He also built a house for himself and his wife Lisa.
- Chris Morris made his T20 International debut against New Zealand in Durban in 2012. He picked up 2 wickets for 19 runs during his debut and dismissed Colin Munro and Corey Anderson.
- Morris’ ODI debut happened in 2013 against Pakistan during the Champions Trophy in England.
- Chris Morris singlehandedly guided the Proteas to a 4th ODI victory against England in 2016. Chasing 263 to win, Morris came in to bat with South Africa struggling on 191/6 in the 38th over. Two more wickets fell leaving South Africa on 210/8. A hero’s knock of 62 runs off 38 balls blew the visitors away with South Africa winning by 1 wicket.
- While playing for the Highveld Lions in a Sunfoil Series match against the Warriors, Chris Morris picked up 4 wickets in the space of 6 balls, including a hat-trick.