South African women’s golfer Ashleigh Buhai is celebrating her 31st birthday today. To celebrate her birthday, we get to know her a little better by sharing some fun facts about her with you.
- Ashleigh Buhai née Simon was the youngest player to win the ladies’ South African Amateur Stroke Play and Match Play double.
- At the age of 12, Ashleigh was winning the club championships at Royal Johannesburg and at Kensington Golf Club.
- She won the Ladies South African Open title in 2004 at the tender age of 14, and then again in 2007.
- Ashley Buhai née Simon won every major amateur title in South Africa, some of them several times.
- She made history when she became the first women golfer on the Sunshine Tour in the Tour Championship at Leapard Creek in 2004.
- Ashleigh turned professional the day after her 18th birthday in May 2007.
- She became the youngest professional winner on the Ladies European Tour at 18 years and 37 days old when she won the Catalonia Ladies Masters in 2007 in Spain.
- Ashleigh now plays under the name Ashleigh Buhai after marrying her husband and her caddy, David, in December 2016.
- In 2019 Ashleigh Buhai had five top-20 finishes, including a career-best major finish of fifth at the AIG Women’s British Open.
- In 2017, Ashleigh was the runner-up at the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic.
Happy Birthday, Ashleigh, from the People team!