Swiss professional tennis player Stan Wawrinka is celebrating his 35th birthday today. To celebrate the day of this tennis star’s birthday, we take a look at some interesting facts about the player.
- Wawrinka grew-up on his parent’s farm in Saint-Barthelemy near Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Stan is second of four children. He has an elder brother Jonathan and two younger sisters, Djanaee and Naella.
- Stan Warinka has a daughter named Alexia with his ex-wife Ilam Vuilloud.
- Stan Wawrinka started competing in the international junior tennis events at the age of 14. At the age of 15 he dropped out of school to focus full time on tennis. He continued his education through a distance learning program.
- Wawrinka made his Grand Slam debut at the 2005 French Open where he reached the third round before losing to the eventual runner-up Mariano Puerta. Wawrinka also reached the third round of the U.S Open in 2005, losing to Nicolas Massu.
- Stan Wawrinka won his first ATP tournament title on July 24, 2006 at the Croatia Open when Novak Djokovic retired due to fatigue. Wawrinka’s ranking improved from #54 at the beginning of the year to then a career high of #29 by the end of October 2006.
- Stan Wawrinka won an Olympic Gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games when he partnered with Roger Federer to defeat the Swedish pair of Aspelin and Johansson in four sets.
- Stan Wawrinka won his first Grand Slam title when he won the 2014 Australian Open.
- Wawrinka won his second Grand Slam title at the 2015 French Open when he defeated Novak Djokovic in the final.
- Wawrinka won his third Grand Slam title at the 2016 U.S. Open, when he defeated Novak Djokovic in four sets in the final.