Retired Slovakian tennis star Daniela Hantuchová is celebrating her 37th birthday today. To celebrate the day of her birth, we are sharing some fun facts about the tennis player with you.
- Daniela Hantuchová was born in Poprad, Czechoslovakia (now called Slovakia). Her father, Igor, was a computer scientist and her mother, Marianna, was a toxicologist.
- Daniela’s grandmother Helena, is a former Slovak national tennis champion.
- Daniela Hantuchová has also appeared in special magazine editorials. She modelled for the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, alongside fellow tennis players Maria Kirilenko and Tatiana Golovin, in a pictorial entitled: Volley of the Dolls.
- In July 2012, Hantuchová modelled nude in the 2012 edition of ESPN: The Body Issue, and appeared on one of six special edition covers. Hantuchová says that modelling is ‘just fun to do from time to time’.
- In 2005, Hantuchová became the fifth female tennis player to win the mixed doubles title in all four Grand Slam tournaments. She won the 2001 Wimbledon mixed doubles with Leos Friedl. She won the 2002 Australian Open mixed doubles title with Kevin Ullyett. Partnering with Fabrice Santoro she won the 2005 French Open mixed doubles title. Together with Mahesh Bhupathi she won the 2005 US Open mixed doubles title.
- Hantuchová’s best result in a gran slam was when she reached the semi-finals of the Australian Open in 2008. Unfortunately she lost the semi-final to Ana Ivanovic 6–0, 3–6, 4–6, despite Hantuchová’s leading the second set 2–0.
- Daniela’s favourite tennis court surface is grass, therefore her favourite event is Wimbledon.
- Daniela loves Italian food (pizza and pasta). She also likes sushi and crepes with Nutella!
- Daniela Hantuchová studied classical piano as a kid.
- Daniela Hantuchová’s highest world ranking is number 5, which she reached in January 2003.