Former Springbok rugby hero Pierre Spies turns 33 today! To celebrate this large imposing Bok’s day we are sharing some fun facts with you about him.
- Pierre Spies attended Afrikaanse Hoer Seunskool (Affies), the same school his Springbok teammates Fourie du Preez and Wynand Olivier as well as Proteas batsmen AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis attended.
- After finishing high school, Spies completed his first year in B.Sc. Construction Management at the University of Pretoria.
- Pierre Spies is a devout Christian. Both his parents are ministers.
- Pierre Spies married Juanne Weidemann in December 2008.
- Pierre Spies’ usually played in the flank position or at number 8.
- Spies made his first class debut for the Blue Bulls in 2005. He also made his Super Rugby debut for the Bulls as a wing in 2005 against the Brumbies, becoming the youngest player ever to represent the Bulls. Spies made 119 appearances for the Bulls.
- Spies had incredible pace, his 100m time is believed to be about 11 seconds. This is impressive considering his enormous size. He is 195cm tall and weighs 107kgs on average
- Pierre Spies made his Springbok debut in the Bok’s 49–0 defeat to Australia in the 2006 Tri Nations Series. He was kept in the side for the home leg of the tournament and turned in two “Man-of-the-Match” performances in the Springbok’s wins over New Zealand and Australia. Spies earned 53 Springbok caps scoring a total of 35 points in the green and gold.
- In July 2007, Pierre Spies was selected for the 2007 Rugby World Cup Springbok squad to be played in France in September, but unfortunately was forced to withdraw from the squad nine days later after blood clots were found in his lungs. After getting a second opinion, it was stated that Spies could return to the World Cup squad if a third opinion was positive. However, the third diagnosis confirmed the original one and Spies withdrew from the squad. The Springboks went on to win the 2007 Rugby World Cup.
- Pierre Spies could power clean 135kg, dead-lift 240kg, bench-press 165kg and do pull-ups with a 50kg weight between his legs. He could jump 1.4m onto a raised platform and had a body-fat percentage of 6.5!
Happy Birthday Spies!