Suicide Risk Factors
According to studies, there are some suicide risk factors, which might vary by age, gender and ethnic group, but need to be known. These, courtesy of webmd.com, include:
- Traumatic life events
- Clinical depression
- One or more prior suicide attempts
- Family history of mental disorder or substance abuse
- Family history of suicide
- Family violence
- Physical or sexual abuse
- Keeping firearms in the home
- Chronic physical illness, including chronic pain
- Exposure to the suicidal behavior of others
Did You Know?
According to webmd.com, over 90 percent of people who die by suicide have clinical depression or another diagnosable mental disorder. Many times, suicide victims also had an alcohol or substance abuse problem, or just a mental disorder.
Suicide Warning Signs
These are signs that you, or someone might be thinking of committing suicide:
- Always talking or thinking about death
- Clinical depression — deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping and eating — that gets worse
- Having a ‘death wish’ and tempting fate by taking risks
- Losing interest in things one used to care about
- Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, changing a will
- Saying things like ‘it would be better if I wasn’t here’ or ‘I want out’
- Sudden, unexpected switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
- Talking about suicide or killing one’s self
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
- 3 Famous Suicides
- Robin Williams: Hollywood’s funnyman shocked us all when he took his life in 2014. While he was hilarious on TV, those close to his said he suffered from depression for years. Williams had a public battle with addiction and mental illness and in 2014 was struggling with a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease, too.Curt Cobain: American musician who was best known as the lead singer, guitarist, and primary songwriter of the rock band Nirvana. During the last years of his life, Cobain struggled with heroin addiction, chronic health problems and depression. He also had difficulty coping with his fame and public image, and the professional and personal pressures surrounding himself and his wife, musician Courtney Love. On April 8, 1994, Cobain was found dead at his home in Seattle, the victim of what was officially ruled a suicide.L’Wren Scott: The American stylist and fashion designer was much loved within the international fashion community, and had a long relationship with Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger. Following a long period of depression, at the age of 49 Scott committed suicide in her Manhattan apartment on March 17, 2014.
Did You Know?
The most common mood disorders are depression, bipolar disorder and cyclothymic disorder.
Share your thoughts on this post
Welcome to People magazine's online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we're creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.