Bully-Proof Your Kid
By Angela Bekiaris
Bullying has become a major issue worldwide, and while it can’t totally be avoided, there are ways, say experts, to bully-proof your kids. We share some tips:
* Talk About It: Talking to your kids allows them to open up about a problem, and helps you solve the issue before it’s too far gone.
* Remove The Bait: Experts suggest you do anything you can to help neutralise the situation.
* Buddy Up For Safety: Your child needs to keep friends close by, as it’s harder to bully two kids. When you’re alone, you’re a victim.
* Keep Calm And Carry On: While attacking seems right at times, experts say staying calm and ignoring the remarks might help, as bullies thrive on hurting others.
* Don’t Allow Them To Fight The Batt le Alone: Chat to teachers, parents or school counsellors to get the matter resolved.
New year – new everything. It takes time to get back into a routine and settle. Here are some signs to look out for when dealing with change:
* Loss of appetite
* Sleep problems
* Loss of interest
* Attention seeking
Dealing With Childhood Stress
With a New Year comes new worries, and many kids find it hard to deal with stress. Here are some
signs to look out for, as well as some tips to help our little ones out as they take on a new teacher, friends and more.
* Look out for any change in behaviour, such as mood swings, loss of appetite, changes in sleep, bedwetting etc.
* Some stressed-out kids develop headaches or stomach aches, or struggle to concentrate at school.
* Withdrawal is a common sign – do they want to spend more time alone?
* Younger children tend to start thumb-sucking, hair-twirling or nose-picking, while older ones lie, bully or defy authority.
* Find ways to reduce their stress levels and help them cope better. Good nutrition, exercise and proper rest play a huge role.
* Make time for your kids daily and pay attention to their needs and behaviour.
* Allow your kids to open up and come up with a few solutions – perhaps cutting back on activities or spending more time at home could help the stress go away.