Celeb hair trend: Braids & Faux Locs
WHEN celebrities pop up on the scene with these gorgeous styles, eyes bulge and everyone asks: how can I get that look?! Truth is, the faux locks and braids trend has been popular in the hair industry for quite a while. So if you’re considering the look, how do you decide what’s right for you?
Faux locks are perfect for those of us who want locks, but aren’t able to get the style, or simply don’t want the long-term commitment and upkeep. Braids are another protective style that will help hair grow healthier and faster. Which one will you choose? Check out these celebrity approved protective and trendy styles.
Top Tips To Keep Hair Fresh
PROTECTIVE styles are great for growing and maintaining the length of natural hair, but they are only effective if the hair underneath is well taken care of.
- BE careful about how tight hair is being braided. When braids are too tight it can cause traction alopecia, which means your hair is being pulled out at the root.
- KEEP your hair. A build-up of dirt and product will clog the pores on your scalp, which can lead to stunted hair growth and can cause fungus and bacteria to grow, resulting in a scalp infection.
- HAVING a protective style does not mean you can forget about your own hair. Moisturizing and sealing should still be a part of your regime. If you have problems reaching some areas, use a spray bottle to distribute product.
- MOST protective styles should not stay in for more than 6-8 weeks at a time. If left in longer, the shed hair can start to clump together and become matted, causing breakage and quite possibly the need to cut your hair during take down.
- KEEP covering hair with a satin scarf or bonnet before you go to bed.
- PROTEIN treatments are important in maintaining length and preventing breakage. Protein keeps hair strong and allows hair to be able to withstand the weight of protective styling with minimum breakage
Our Fashion Editor tries the trend.
‘BRAIDS are an easy and pleasant way to forget about the struggles of styling your hair. Having ethnic hair can be a nightmare, as you may style hair the night before (or plan to do a certain hairstyle) and in the morning what you wanted doesn’t work out. Natural hair has a mind of its own, which is why I love braids, because you can basically do whatever you want with it! Braids have always been around and growing up I never liked having braids, because I use to find it unflattering. There was a whole idea that you need to have straight long hair to feel and look beautiful. I regret ever thinking that thanks to a few well known faces such as Queen Latifah, Kerri Hilson and Solange Knowles. Braids adds edge and a sense of fierce to your look. It makes you stand out and you get to pull off different looks without worrying about damaging your hair. The one thing that is very important with braids is that, you need obviously take care of your natural hair even if it’s under wraps. I love it a lot and I think everyone should try it at least once in their life and flip their hair like the famous Willow Smith song!’ – Suzy Mukendi